Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battery or starter motor?

Go down 
+3
cus
ezza
Attley
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Attley

Attley

Battery or starter motor? Empty
PostSubject: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyMon 31 Aug 2009, 10:10 pm

hi all, having a problem with the skyline and was wondering if anyone could help. When i picked the car up it ran fine for the first week, then one morning i tried to start it, at first it turned over fine but the a fast-paced clicking noise started, after jumping it a few times and bumping it it runs fine once started. After long drives (like up to bham last week) its fine but when left more than 12 hours it goes back to the clicking. THe battery is about a 1/3 of the size of a new one from halfords leading me to think it maybe a battery problem and im hoping its not starter motor, i'm currently charging my prelude battery as its the same type i think,

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyMon 31 Aug 2009, 10:27 pm

that sounds like the batt hasnt got enough power
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyMon 31 Aug 2009, 10:45 pm

ezza wrote:
that sounds like the batt hasnt got enough power

x2
Back to top Go down
benkei

benkei

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyTue 01 Sep 2009, 3:41 am

Get a new battery, sounds like that one is too small and is on it's way out.
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyTue 01 Sep 2009, 7:22 pm

battery is a gonner mate
Back to top Go down
tesh

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 8:15 am

Look at the cold crank amparage (unsure spelling) on the battery your running an compare it to the one u tld me u need, this info usually found on main stiker on top of battery, if the one at halfords is more then ur battery is not strong enough to turn ur engine over, to chek alternater go to ur local halfords they shud do a battery an alternater check for free, if not find a multimeter an measure the voltage goin into batter should be jumping between 13 14volts

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
JayGTI

JayGTI

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 11:30 am

Agreed, battery! Sounds like the cells are damaged inside and cant keep its charge for long periods.

You can get batt-aid tablets from halfrauds for £5ish and that repairs the cells inside the batt. Think you have to use them every 6months- a year to keep the batt tip top. Would be worth changing the batt anyways if you can afford it. If not the tabs would do for the short term Very Happy

Safe,
Jay
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 11:25 pm

if its not a sealed battery check that the distilled water levels are topped up, otherwise it will die a slow annoying death
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyThu 03 Sep 2009, 2:53 am

just get a new battery, that one is obviously too small, and a new one usually comes with a year or two year warranty.
Back to top Go down
Attley

Attley

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyThu 03 Sep 2009, 5:25 am

charged up my prelude battery and threw it on, runs and works like a beaut now, had to do a bit of a 'custom' battery mount as the old battery was 1/2 the size but bungie cords can work wonders! lol, thanks for the advice though anyway guys
Back to top Go down
JayGTI

JayGTI

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? EmptyThu 03 Sep 2009, 5:41 am

Sweet Cool Glad to hear its sorted, mynes held in with cable ties as they work better than the crappy hook and thread business!

Peace king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery or starter motor?   Battery or starter motor? Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery or starter motor?
Page 1 of 1