Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!

Go down 
+3
skyrocket
cus
Sukhy96
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! Empty
PostSubject: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 11:45 am

Hello peeps,

Was swapping my alloys over because i have brought some cheapish ones just for the winter period, changed the front two with no problem but here comes the bad part. I started to loosen the alloy wheel nut when suddenly SNAP goes the nut, half has come off leaving some of it still on the lug. Havent tried to get the rest off because they seem well too tight and scared of the same thing happening again. What can i do to get the alloy wheel nut off the hub and get the rest off so i can change all my alloys over?

One of my new alloys which i brought (front alloy) has a valve cap (metal one) and it seems proper stuck because i cannot get it off with my hands or with some pliers and socket/wrench.

Had a nightmare today trying to sort it out but to no avail Sad

any help would be appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 12:36 pm

post some pics of whats actually happend if you can
Back to top Go down
skyrocket

skyrocket

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 7:46 pm

souns like the dust cap has fused to the valve...you will have to put a new valve on...happened to me

as for you wheel nut...pics....
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 10:03 pm

Yeah take some pics dude. Depending on how much is left and if the shape will allow it, and I'f the wheel will allow, get a slightly bigger deep throat socket and hammer it on- this has worked for me in the past

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/__d__a__v__e__
skyrocket

skyrocket

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 10:56 pm

u can get a lock nut removal tool....this may help if the worst comes
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 11:12 pm

My dad has got a locking nut removal tool so will see what happens with that. I will get pics later on today for you guys to see. No luck in getting the metal dust cap off with wd40. Proper balls it is.
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 6:23 am

Here are the pics of the broken wheel nut as promised.

Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! P1100074912x684

Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! P1100068912x684
Back to top Go down
Powelly

Powelly

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 6:42 am

Ouch just hope they don't wreck the Watanabes (are they or rota's) yeah do what dave said, some penetrating fluid / wd40 under the bolt and whack on a socket give it a shock / hammer or big pull and it should loosen i hope fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 6:43 am

They are SSR/Watanabe's mate. I just hope i dont wreck the rim Sad Wanted them off for the winter period of crap weather.
Back to top Go down
skyrocket

skyrocket

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 6:54 am

what make are those wheel nuts???? i wouldnt put em back on...they alloy?
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 6:56 am

They are crap, well light ones. I have ordered some from Rare rims Red anodised ones which are used for Motorsport and the best thing about them is that they are not aluminium like the ones on the rims are now. I just hope nothing happens to my rims when i go down to a tyre fitters on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
skyrocket

skyrocket

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:03 am

bummer i have red steel ones in the forsale section
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:08 am

No way, i ordered mine only yesterday for the same price your selling yours for. Hope mine turn out to be decent lol
Back to top Go down
skyrocket

skyrocket

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:20 am

mine are the same as powellys...just red
Back to top Go down
Powelly

Powelly

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:22 am

Top doller and mint better than rolling on rusty oem... hope all goes well with the bolt mate should come off..
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:25 am

I brought these ones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230513038397&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

Should get them tomorrow and i have got locking wheel nuts to go with them in anodised blue.

Fingers crossed for Saturday lol
Back to top Go down
Powelly

Powelly

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:28 am

Fingers crossed, same as mine..

again get a socket bashed on to it as long as you can shock it to turn at least once or twice it should in theory come off.. good luck..
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:40 am

Will ask my dad to try doing that on Friday to see if anything happens, if not then going to have to fork some money out. Got to get a new valve for my rim aswell which im putting on my car because the metal cap has just seized up. I will need all the bolts taken off the rims which im taking off because they are all over tightened.
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 8:12 am

A slightly oversized socket looks like it will do the trick, bash it on make sure it gets nice purchase on it and it should come off ok.
Let us know if you need a hand, if your coming to the meet next Monday we can have a bash
Back to top Go down
Powelly

Powelly

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 8:16 am

Dave_t wrote:
A slightly oversized socket looks like it will do the trick, bash it on make sure it gets nice purchase on it and it should come off ok.
Let us know if you need a hand, if your coming to the meet next Monday we can have a bash

Next Monday?? sunday ??
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 8:18 am

Yeah will be coming down on Sunday mate, if it isn't off by then i might need some of your lots help Razz
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 9:27 am

spotted the deliberate mistake Wink
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 10:33 am

dont be scared to give it a little heat either Wink
Back to top Go down
Sukhy96

Sukhy96

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 10:46 am

How could i use heat to get the nut off? would it damage anything else apart from the nut im getting off?
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 10:52 am

smash the over sixed socket on along with wd40 blah blah then heat it up with a blow torch.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!   Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Alloy Wheel Nut Broken, Need Help!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next