Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Notorious Snapping Bolt Size

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Scott

Scott

Notorious Snapping Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyTue 01 May 2007, 3:14 am

Basically im probably going to be fitting some egay coilover conversions on the weekend.

just wondering if anyone knew the notorious snapping bolt size's n specs so i can try and get one before they snap! (im on about the bolt that connects the LCA to the shock btw)

Honda will probably take the piss with delivery so i need somewhere i can buy them from too anyone got any ideas?

Ta
Scott
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyTue 01 May 2007, 3:36 am

M12, fine pitch thread, not sure on the length, just roughly measure one, they HAVE to be high tensile though.

But there is a way of doing it without taking that bolt out Idea

EDIT: it involves a grinder and destroying your old springs
Back to top Go down
Scott

Scott

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyTue 01 May 2007, 8:13 am

oo prey tell what is this new way - have you ever done it b4?
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyWed 02 May 2007, 4:13 am

Ez's old EF was dine in like 40 mins buy cutting the otd springs off with the grinder. no messing about
Back to top Go down
WELZ

WELZ

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyWed 02 May 2007, 4:29 am

Dude, spray all the bolts with WD40 a few days before you plan to do it! Should loosen them up a bit!

Worked on my CRX.
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyWed 02 May 2007, 6:31 am

I say 30% of the time you can get away with it if you leave it to soak in wd40 but even then it will probably still snap
Back to top Go down
Scott

Scott

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyWed 02 May 2007, 6:50 am

cant remember how ez did mine on the white egg, think we remove the whole LCA or some shit.

this might just be me and not having a car to hand to visualise it on. But how do you actually do the cutting the old spring method? cant see how it works. (not saying it dosent btw im just being a tard)

why dont you need to take out the bolt of death and howd u get the new sleeves on?

scott king
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyWed 02 May 2007, 9:24 am

there is only one man to answer that, and hes probably on his way home from work now
Back to top Go down
Scott

Scott

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyThu 03 May 2007, 12:33 am

Ez ez where art thou ez?
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyThu 03 May 2007, 5:57 am

Ez *whistles* come on Ez
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyThu 03 May 2007, 5:58 am

1.first thing, before you jack the car up while the cars weight is on the spring (and so u dont have to use spring compressors) undo the middle nut ontop of the shock.

2. Jack the car up

3. undo thos bolt:
Notorious Snapping Bolt Size WNDI4NTE5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

4. grind the spring in half (about half way down) then wind the two peices together so they are half the size of the original spring with bolt '2' now removed you should be able to compress the shock, remove the top hat, remove the spring and pull the whole lot clear of the wheel well.

5. drop your new sleeve and spring on

6. put the tophat back on and push the shock back in place, locate the top holes and put all the nuts back on
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyThu 03 May 2007, 7:24 pm

jobs a good'un
Back to top Go down
Scott

Scott

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyFri 04 May 2007, 9:26 am

Thankas for that dude - damn clever idea.

Got a few questions,

Does this work for the front and back shocks?

Does the spring decompress rapidly at anypoint (paticuarly the cutting part) or is the tension released when the car is jacked up?

Is bolt 2 the bolt in the picture?

It will probably be easier to see when i am actually with my egg but i dont quite understand why u need to cut the old spring when you can get the new spring and sleeve back into the well without cutting? (i know im a noob!)

Recon you could use a hacksaw to cut through the spring? lack of grinderage sucks.

Thanks - n sorry for being such a noob!
Scott
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyFri 04 May 2007, 9:38 am

You wont need to do it up front cus the bolts all come out ok.

The tension is released as the car goes up

Oh yeah, sorry bolt '2' is the one in pic (was a bit stoned when i writ that)

Because the old spring is too long to allow you to pull it clear of the wheel well.

Dunno about the hack saw, if you stayed at it long enough might work.

np mate king
Back to top Go down
Scott

Scott

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyFri 04 May 2007, 9:52 am

ahh sweet makes sence now! thanks dude.

recon the way of releacing the tension could be adapted for the fronts aswell ?

Scott
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyFri 04 May 2007, 11:55 pm

yeah, cant see why not, im pretty sure iv done it that way before.
Back to top Go down
Scott

Scott

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptySat 05 May 2007, 4:08 am

i will give it a shot then! ill let ya know how it go's
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptySat 05 May 2007, 8:20 am

do, do
Back to top Go down
Scott

Scott

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyWed 09 May 2007, 12:58 am

well,
apart from one dodgey shock that the previous owner had battered with a hammer it all went swimmingly well. now lower and alot stiffer. jobs a good un
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size EmptyWed 09 May 2007, 2:10 am

sweet

get some pics up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Notorious Snapping Bolt Size   Notorious Snapping Bolt Size Empty

Back to top Go down

Notorious Snapping Bolt Size
Page 1 of 1