Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DIY wheel refurd

Go down 
+4
Powelly
Dave_t
ezza
tesh
8 posters
AuthorMessage
tesh

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:02 am

Hi,

Well i thought i would do a little write up on my DIY back garden wheel re-furb. I bought these wheels very cheap from some guy who had them on a combo van and did not know what they were.

Three of the wheels were in pretty good condition so i did not want to spend the money to get them refurbed yet as i plan to get all for done at the same time in the long run if i keep the wheels.

one of the wheels had impact damage the lip had bent and the outer lip had spots of metal missing so i thought why not ill have a go myself.

I initially gave the one damaged wheel to SPEEDWELLS in birmingham they offered to straighten the lip for cheap and they did a good job IMO for cheap aswell.

I was then left with the following.

DIY wheel refurd  349c55ab

DIY wheel refurd  E32d28d8

I sanded back the metal first and was suprised at how easy alloy is to sand down and smooth, i then purchased some metal epoxy resin (chemical resin) to fill the dents and gaps reccomended on many websites for wheel refurbs.

Gave the stuff and hour to dry and then sanded it all down.

DIY wheel refurd  Aaf0c705

DIY wheel refurd  455d3f36

DIY wheel refurd  8b5b9e80

DIY wheel refurd  1c0de2ed

DIY wheel refurd  410e0dcf

Next step was to mask off and start with the primer.

DIY wheel refurd  Ed2f2bb0

DIY wheel refurd  A959dedc

DIY wheel refurd  B6287887

I gave the primer 24 hours to set before starting with the top layer of colour.

DIY wheel refurd  F0ebeeb8

DIY wheel refurd  7bb18679

DIY wheel refurd  Ceee8f95

I just need to blend the fresh layer of paint after removing the masking tape with some fine sand paper and need to add a few clear coats then smooth it down with some rubbing compound i ran out of white paint, could have done with one more coat IMO but for a short term fix im happy with the outcome.

Blended the paint in today added the decals and finished off with a few clear cloats.
DIY wheel refurd  C1c386b7
DIY wheel refurd  7377451f
DIY wheel refurd  6b915cc0
DIY wheel refurd  061a57cb
DIY wheel refurd  47c83bf4

Over for a home job im happy with the outcome it could have been better but i ran out of paint Sad so i just made do with what i had next is to find a tyre and put them on my teg!

Last edited by tesh on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated)
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:11 am

WOW!

nice writup tesh, and nice find.
I was going to mension the step from old paint to new but seems like you have it covered

nice work
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:14 am

good work tesh! can't wait to see them on, lightweight wheels on that bitch finally!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/__d__a__v__e__
ezza

ezza

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:16 am

DIY wheel refurd  Aaf0c705

anyone?......
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:17 am

too easy?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/__d__a__v__e__
tesh

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:22 am

HA only a matter of time, couldnt really find a colour match as the wheels were like an off faded white ill update tomorrow with stickers attached and few clear coats. i do feel i could have done them way better but if they look good on car i will save up a little and get a proper powder coating done.
Back to top Go down
Powelly

Powelly

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:27 am

Wow tesh these look amazing dude, these for the teg?
Back to top Go down
Aky

Aky

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:29 am

Nice returd on the wheels Smile
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:32 am

LIKE WHOA! they look sweet, should look good on the teg with a little more drop!
Back to top Go down
Attley

Attley

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 9:17 am

lol, hard and fast, first thing i thought when seeing this was you tesh funnily enough

haha

but fair play
Back to top Go down
mart609

mart609

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  EmptyFri 01 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

nice write-up tesh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DIY wheel refurd  Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY wheel refurd    DIY wheel refurd  Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY wheel refurd
Page 1 of 1