Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

d16 turbo or b swap

Go down 
+8
dom eg6
Ned
Spence
Powelly
Dave_t
Macca
cus
Ringy_01
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ringy_01

Ringy_01

d16 turbo or b swap Empty
PostSubject: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 11:08 am

Hi guys,im back in the honda scene hehehe god it feel good to be back in a honda.
just goes to show "hondas where the heart is" lol
iv just got a eg5 and i carnt decide which route to go
d16z6 turbo on stock internals
or
b16/18 swap
if i swap to a b16 ill probs build a b20 block up for it.

how reliable are d16 turbos? nothing major looking for around 200bhp if i go turbod D

what you guys think
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

b20 with a b16 head alldayyyy

everyone i know who's done a turbo d16 have failed at making it a nasty bitch an end up smoking or blowing up, if your gonna build one its got to be bang on with a really good tune for it to work, to unreliable, be safe an go btwizzyy!
Back to top Go down
Macca

Macca

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm

Whos is the D16 turbo , candy red coupe. It was at the meet last night

That was all noise and no go Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm

B18C ITR - Dont bother with anything else.

lastnight a stock 96 spec itr was even (i might even have to say slightly faster) than a stripped out high spec ef B20. that was downhill, and then uphill, so torque was not an issue.

i havent once been impressed with B20 vtec to this day, whilst B18C's rarely disappoint Wink

if you could afford it, K20 - other than that, B18C All Day Long
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/__d__a__v__e__
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 11:26 pm

+ you could buy a tatty/damaged itr and swap the hub's/suspension/brakes etc over to the eg, aswel as the engine and box
Back to top Go down
Powelly

Powelly

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 11:36 pm

Dave_t wrote:
B18C ITR - Dont bother with anything else.

lastnight a stock 96 spec itr was even (i might even have to say slightly faster) than a stripped out high spec ef B20. that was downhill, and then uphill, so torque was not an issue.

i havent once been impressed with B20 vtec to this day, whilst B18C's rarely disappoint Wink

if you could afford it, K20 - other than that, B18C All Day Long

K20 expensive your looking at around £4-5K

B20 - B16a B16a1 or B16a2 swap £400 - £600 + B20 bottom end £300 + extra's - read this https://theorientacademy.forumotion.com/t3851-how-to-build-a-b20-vtec-taken-from-daz-dnr#46704

B18c - £1500

B18c4 - £400-£800 depending on milage etc yada yada

B16a2 - £400 - £600

D16z6 swap (£150-£300 engine + £500-£800 Turbo setup then an extra £300-£400+ for mapping etc)

What evers going to fit within budget fella as for the B20 I stood watching and Id say the Itr on the first run (only because Spence missed 2nd) had him but on the second Run B20 > B18c pulled in 3/4th but Ill let Spence tell you all about that one :-)
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm

well from where i was sitting in doms car i can tell you spence pulled top of 3rd, dom pulled back 4th. b18c>b20 in my eyes

b20 ef stripped out - stock b18c itr, with two people with most of the interior still in, go figure?

b18c's are hand finished in a dedicated machine shop. they are the ultimate off the shelf B-Series, and to build a b-series to be better isnt easy.

if you want to be spending shit loads on parts to try and boost performance on a lesser engine, i wouldnt bother.

If it was me, i'd pick the best base, and build form that.
Back to top Go down
Spence

Spence

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 4:06 am

Lol dave, my b20 is running itr cams and same comp pistons as stock itr, I have a itr inlet, tb and itr zaust Mani. my ef9 weighs more then doms I have a full cage an I weigh 20 stone... All doms interior were out last night!
I have a 2 inch exhaust and a cat. mine is practically an itr with added displacement!

Also bro I pulled in 4th
T1st 2nd 3rd identical 4th I were pulling at no point did I see the itr gain! Uphill or downhill!

Upload the video Wel soon see! Wink

To build my engine would be 600 quid if you shopped smart 800 if you didn't!

I'd rather that then pay 1500 quid for somthing that blows up quick, phone Daz ask how many b20s he rebuilt last year. Then ask him how many b18cs he has!

My b18c were heavily modified an it hasn't took a quarter of the abuse this b20 has! My b18c blew up fast an unmapped got smoked by a b16a2.
My b20 wouldn't Wink

With the extra 700-900 quid you can buy all the extra breathing mods an be quicker then an itr.

Just for you Dave il take the civic to the weigh bridge this week. An youl be very surprised to see what's what!

You can build a b20 for as little as 250-300 quid bang for buck it's the best engine you can put in a Honda simplicity and crvs in scrapyards, I have always been against b20s as it's silly to put a 16 head on a 20 bottom it doesnt make sense plus you hear so many horror storys online about them! But 300 quid vs 1500 is a massive difference! In theory you could buy 2 or 5 just incase you enjoy blowing them up.

Wink
Wins a win dood.
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 4:13 am

d16 turbo or b swap Popcorn_yes
Back to top Go down
Ringy_01

Ringy_01

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 4:41 am

back when i had my Ek i started to build a b20 but then sold the car (twat)
the spec i was going to build was-

b20z bottom end (if i can get one if not b20b)
b16a2 head
b18 oil pump (ported)
b18 water pump
golden eagle vtec kit
ported and polished head
skunk 2 valves,
skunk2 retainers
skunk 2 stage 2 cams
eldobrok inlet (i carnt spell it lol)
toda manifold
buddyclub spec2
8k rev limit

can anyone add to this?

i break cars for parts in my spare time anyway, would it be worth looking out for an aerodeck as a donor car and going b18 with simlar spec^
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 4:48 am

just saying what i saw, as i could see everything that was going on and not concentrating on keeping it in a straight line and shifting.

1st and 2nd looked indentical, top of 3rd looked like you pulled slightly, 4th looked like dom pulled back up to you slightly - not much in it, either way

my personal preference would be a B18C. a B20 block isnt made to rev like an ITR motor, so unless you spend the money to fully build it i wouldn't bother, again my personal opinion, because i cant see a stock b20 vtec being more reliable than a B18C.

the amount of high milleage, thrashed out itr's about there's obviously going to be lots of B18Cs needing rebuilds now, more so than low millage crv lumps, makes sense

a caged stripped out ef compared to a partially stripped out teg 2's up, maybe the ef is heavier? i wouldnt of thought so but who knows?

those run's made my night anyway! made me hungrier to get back in a honda

it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning

d16 turbo or b swap De786c2j5moh1
Back to top Go down
dom eg6

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 5:18 am

lol gota love a bit of banter ey spence Wink

just to contribute Wink there is no way a itr 96 spec with 2 guys in full interior minus rear bench and parcel shelf and spare whee, lighter than a stripped ef9 with a cage, my teg weighs in at 1060kg on the weigh bridge and thats with no people in so props about 1150 if not a little more with 2 guys in,

engine has stock air box, and stock 96 spec cast mani, and a de-cat with a back box.

that ef will be 1000kg max with no people in, i would like to no what it weighes in at!

and as for the ,mods it has like itr head, itr cams, high comp pistons, 98 spec stainless mani, chipped ecu, induction, and a uprated diff i still managed to be neck and neck of the start and that's pulling another man of the mark aswell,

all it takes is one person to really make a diff, when comparing striaght line power, and if it was a 1 person on 1 person race i think i would of edged slightly and definatly on top speed power due to the itr's aero dynamics.

the b18c r engine is the ultimate for power and reliability, if maintained correctly and it can cope with the 9,000 rpm so it will be great on track etcc... exiting corners,

and is al round a good engine,

however a b20 can be built to be a really fast and reliable engine 2, it just takes the right person to build it!

i thought spence your car was a stock low comp b20b on a stock ef9 head! now i no its got all itr internals it should have wooped me up! that eg coupe i built had a b18c4 with long ratio s9b box, skunk 2 inlet and tegiwa manifold and it was stripped and weighed in at 950 kg with itr roll bars and mb6 hubs all round and that was exactly the same as my dc2 on power up to 110 then i started pulling!

but we will never no cause next time we run lol well have 1 person in each, and some more breather mods that ive allready purchased as you no, so bring on next time partner Razz

Back to top Go down
Powelly

Powelly

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 5:57 am

d16 turbo or b swap Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert
Back to top Go down
Spence

Spence

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 6:01 am

Lol I'm glad you've come into this dom!

My engine is a glorified itr engine which 198cc more full stop!

No induction unless you mean a hole in the front bumper with a pipe that leads to
A stock airbox

It's mapped for jdm fuel higher octane!

My diff is whatever only usefull around corners! Surely it would just be drag using it in a straight line Wink

B20 bang for buck all day every day 500 pound for a itr head 300 pound from a b20 bottom

1500 for a ragged b18c

The itr had no reason to loose to me! Itr being the ultimate engine an all. Wink

Fair play to dom having to spend money on the ultimate b18c just to go around a shit old ef9 b20!

Il get it on the weigh bridge this week. You guys forget I'm 20 stone!

Fuckin loving the banter, bout time we saw some action!

Dave you better get that s2k fast bro being a passenger seat observer won't get you the bitches... Wink
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 6:07 am

If the cage really weighs that much just fark it off, imo that seems like false economy.

what is the purpose of the cage for you? protection or bracing?
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

Spence wrote:

Dave you better get that s2k fast bro being a passenger seat observer won't get you the bitches... Wink

"Sitting in the passenger seat of his best friends car trying to holla at me" clown

it will be here soon enough BROTHER!!!

didn't think the video saved, but found it tonight at work.

raggedy ass iphone vid

1st run the ef has a good launch and pulls ahead

2nd run, cant say much was in it on the up hill until we came up on the slow car ahead and both backed off

3rd run was really even 1st 2nd, top of 3rd the ef pulled, into 4th the teg matched/pulled back

good that we got a few runs ;-) is that root beer crx quick spense? straight backed out!

what was in the white eg? wasnt at the meet i dont think
Back to top Go down
Spence

Spence

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyWed 06 Jul 2011, 9:08 pm

Loving the video dood! Looking at it from where you are top of 3rd was where my gain! Can't really say anything about 4th weren't in the gear long enough or into the top end of the revs!

White Eg were a b16 turbo haha! Was it keeping up on the blast uphill?

Rootbeer should be alot faster it's got all the breathing fueling mods an a built bottom end.

Dno why atif backed out! My guess is lack of diff! An not wanting to launch!
He's been saying hel line up when I'm ready or he's up for it whenever!

It's quick though! Only gotta see him fly past to see that! Bet it's alot quicker then mine!
Back to top Go down
tesh

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 3:10 am

Wow dom was saying his ITR was fast but dayummm, spence whats in your EF?

Lol I love the commentary from Dave an Dom when winning fun times.

Last edited by tesh on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Aky

Aky

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 3:20 am

Had a b20 and been up against itr's and I used to pull everytime.
Itr head on a b20 is no good, block is made for low down torque, put gsr head and decent inlet like a skunk2 and would be totally different.
I'm seriously shocked by that vid.
And far as induction goes, been proven that having a stock airbox with a decent cold air feed is best way to go.

Back to top Go down
skyrocket

skyrocket

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 5:54 am

dave you sound full on yam yam....lols...always thought you were posh
Back to top Go down
Dave_t

Dave_t

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 6:06 am

black country street racing must bring it out in me Razz
Back to top Go down
Spence

Spence

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 6:18 am

Lol I really can't believe your reactions, alls my engine is, is a glorified itr lump with an extra 200 cc I've been running the car with no limiter for months it's seen past 9k near every day and valve bounced twice!

It's running higher comp pistons to boost compression and to basically be a poor mans itr! As ive said befor my engine to build is 800 quid, that's paying full whack for everything! People forget what a b20 is! It's a low compression 4x4 engine so for my 800 pound build to be slightly faster then a 1500 pound b18c is absolutely fantastic, doms engine is a low miler minter that's never been ragged he will tell you that I'm sure!

Itr as dave said are ragged an abused an in need of rebuilds so I think you all should appreciate doms an my car an say fair play doods! That's some quick shit!

My engine is fantastic an I'm chuffed with how she performed against doms I have a 4.2 fd he has 4.4? He should of smoked me I don't care what anyone says any good tuner will tell you the same thing if specs were explained! that's a 200 bhp+motor an my restrictive tb inlet 2inch exhaust an stock cat are leaving me slightly pulling from doms very impressive integra!

That's big, means once I sort out a 3" zaust a elder inlet tri y etc etc she will hopefully be into 215-220 bhp+ with any luck!

Doms integra is quick tho look at matts Eg b18c4 dom built it! It's had doe spent on it got all bolt ons bits an bobs an a good map by Daz an it's still slower!
Then that c4 coupe dom built 950kgs in previous post even till 110 then dom pulled he said!

So at under 100 mph mine pulls just slightly. That's awesome we know doms teg is quick.

I ain't knocking my induction! Stock airbox all the way!

But it's not an upgrade so it doesent count Wink

Regardless it was a seriously sick bit of racing andthe participants me dom an Dave the random black dood that started us 2nd time. Powelly for hitting the pedestrian crossing button! Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Back to top Go down
Aky

Aky

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 6:38 am

Spence your brave hitting 9k in a b20 lol
Sounds like it was a decent night out.

Back on topic tho...

D16 turbo has power and is fun but not very reliable unless built
N/A Honda is reliable and powerful (b16b with itb ftmfw)
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 7:01 am

thris thread was fully destroyed lol
Back to top Go down
Spence

Spence

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap EmptyThu 07 Jul 2011, 7:13 am

It sees about 9.2 at least once a day 5 days a week.
It's seen 9.6 twice which is valve bounce!
No smoke no nasty noises no sign of ware,

Been that way for 3 or 4 months with me 7k kms an at least 40k kms
According to japaneese history!

Very Happy

b16b is not to be knocked especially for bracket racing or class style track racing!

Tell you what Powelly will back me on this! Dump it on eBay coils get some redonkulus fitting wheels roll your arches, dump it some more then buy a roofrack and a buddyclub earbleeder spec 2!

At least you will get pictures taken of your car!

Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: d16 turbo or b swap   d16 turbo or b swap Empty

Back to top Go down

d16 turbo or b swap
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next