Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suspension bolt trouble :-(

Go down 
+3
cus
ezza
eca
7 posters
AuthorMessage
eca

eca

Suspension bolt trouble :-( Empty
PostSubject: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 11:13 am

Having trouble with some seized bolts when trying to change my suspension over...

Anyone know any decent and easy ways to get them off?

I'm gonna soak the lot in Plus Gas and try to see if anyone has an impact gun as I'm told it's fucking pointless doing it by hand...

Ez was going to help me but I don't get paid till end of March and wanted to try get them on for next Sunday for Mimms...And I'm not cheeky enough to ask if I could pay him back next month lol.

But yeah...Anyone care to help? I'm a right newb when it comes to car parts and tinnnngggg....Sooooo laymans terms please :-)

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.civiclife.net
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 11:42 am

u should have said dude, it wouldnt have been a problem.

anyway, Wich bolts? im assuming LCA bolts

Seized bolts need shocking to loosen really so a couple of things to try;

put a socket (one you can do without) on the bolt and give it a good few heavy wacks with a hammer.
Get a good fitting ring spanner on it and hammer it hard in a anti clock wise direction (it might not actually turn yet) a few times then clockwise and so on for a while (always making sure the spanner is on properly, the last thing u need is to round it off)
If at this point there is no sign of it loosening it either needs some more force or its going to shear, either way you will need a big ass bar (like a metre long) or pole to slide over the spanner (again make sure its a good fit), then try to jolt it loose a couple of times, then tighten then loosen and so on until it comes loose or breaks, lol (hopefully it doesnt break)

hth
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 12:11 pm

i've had this problem on pretty much all of my cars, if you can get a blow torch and wd40 heat both ends of the bolt up untill you can see the rubber starting to bubble or just before that point lol worked eveytime for me and comes off really easily.
Back to top Go down
Ringy_01

Ringy_01

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 7:14 pm

the bolt that was seized in is the one that goes through the lower fork on the front, only on drivers side, couldnt even crack the nut off or turn the bolt, i think it might be abit seized into the metal collor in the bush, passanger one came out fine. the LCA's bolts look like they might be abit of a pig but impact guns FTW
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 8:45 pm

Yeah I don't know anyone with an impact gun :-(

Cus, wouldn't that involve getting new bushes?

I'm going to a nut and bolt shop today to see if I can get some new ones from him rather than pay the extortionate prices from Honda lol.

Gonna Plus Gas the hell out of them all week...
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 8:46 pm

from what ive heard. get honda ones.
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 8:47 pm

Ah reet...Ok then. What about the one that goes thru the fork? The longer one?

And yeah cheers Ez, I'm not that cheeky to ask you to go out ya way like that when I've only met you like twice lol!

Maybe we could sort summat.
Back to top Go down
Ned
Dislikes Rota's
Ned

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 8:51 pm

I can't remeber but sombody told me to use honda ones.
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 12:03 am

ez knows a place that does the same bolts as honda i think?? not sure

i've heated all of mine up and never had to change any bush's or anythin.
Back to top Go down
cus

cus

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 12:05 am

o ye try wire brushing the front fork bolt a bit just to remove any clogged rust shite, then just wd40 it and leave it over night.
Back to top Go down
pallett

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 12:42 am

Honda bolts are shit i bought two lca bolts for rears cost me near enough 15 quid and werent even the right ones. Where way too thick. Went to a local fasteners in willenhall and for the same high tensile actually higher rated than the honda ones for 6 cost me £1.90.
Ive got an impact gun but it will not remove stuborn bolts liek that ive tried countless times so far doing my rears you just need a good torque wrench with a decent length handle to get good leverage on them.
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 2:24 am

West brom fasteners are good, if you can get one of them out go there and they will get you replacements of a higher tensile metal for cheap, i think the oem bolts are 8.8 tensile so anything higher than that is fine, i usually run 10.2 tensile from west brom fasteners.

iirc the bolt is a M12 with a 1.25 pitch thread
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 2:39 am

Christ that's some confusing shizzz... You'z lot certainly know your nuts and bolts :-|

Just been to Honda...£4 each for LCA bolts and £9.50 for the one that goes through the front fork. I said I'd be down next Tuesday to pick them up...Sounds like it was a good job I didn't pay them there and then...

I really don't know what the hell I'm doing now...
Back to top Go down
ezza

ezza

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 2:48 am

Have any of the bolts come out?
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 2:52 am

Nah I've not tried yet. Waiting to see if I can get hold of an impact gun first...

Gonna soak them in plus gas for a day or too aswell.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Trader

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 2:58 am

I had that problem on the ep3 so i soaked them in wd overnight then took a blowtorch to them untill they were glowing pritty much transparent and threw a bucket of cold water on them.
Worked a treat and yea honda ones are poorly coated so they rust and bond to other parts.
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 2:59 am

Yeah the thing is I don't have the know-how or the tools to do it lol.

:-/
Back to top Go down
pallett

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 4:46 am

Mate where abouts in lichfield are you i gotta come there thursday for work so i could maybe pop over for an hour and give you a hand and bring some tools etc to try get it sorted PM me your address if you dont want it public.
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 5:35 am

Could do matey. I don't get back from work till 6pm though...
Back to top Go down
pallett

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 5:56 am

hmm i see, ill be over there in the day like so not much good. and working on cars in the dark is a bitch. I could probably pop over early saturday if you dont work weekends if you didnt mind covering petrol like a tenner or something
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 5:58 am

Lol tis a bit crap mate I work Saturdays! I'll give it a go Sunday morning and if i get stuck we'll arrange summat mate.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
pallett

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 6:09 am

sunday is actually better for me anyway thinking about it, upto you mate
Back to top Go down
eca

eca

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 10:06 am

I'm going to the Mimms meet mate so I doubt this Sunday will be any good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension bolt trouble :-(   Suspension bolt trouble :-( Empty

Back to top Go down

Suspension bolt trouble :-(
Page 1 of 1